WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch – If you already have the Genesis Framework, you can create a new Genesis child theme from scratch using nothing more than a code editor. This course shows you how. Carrie Dils covers the basics of child themes—lessons you can apply to your own starter theme—as well as tips to make existing theme customizations that much easier. She shows how to create the PHP and CSS files necessary to structure, activate, and style your theme, and how to add demo content and make the theme responsive on different screen sizes with media queries. She also includes tips on prepping your theme for a real-world deploy. At the end of the course, you’ll have a deeper understanding of the Genesis Framework and child themes, and the skills to develop richer WordPress sites.
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries